Wednesday 17 October 2012

Artistic reference

It's kind of ironic how much work I'm getting done at uni, but how little of it actually ends up on here. I'm still very much in the mindset of not wanting to put my work online for fear of ridicule. It's silly, and I need to just be brave and get my work out there as this is the most likely place that people will find my stuff. A simple analogy could be a parent dropping their child off at the first day of school: they want to hold on, cherish them and protect them from all the dangers there are out there, but they know deep down the only way their child will grow and develop is for them to interact with the world around them, and the people that inhabit it.

So! Hence forth, I shall stop hoarding my artwork and just put any old crap up here! ...well, not crap exactly. My meticulous nature doesn't allow me to ever draw something that isn't in some way half finished, but I know I need to stop being so selective.

With this in mind....I have nothing to show.

No joke I don't actually have anything scanned in but i'm going to do a large haul over the next couple of days and really bring this bog back up to date.

On a side note, and in reference to this posts' title, I wanted to just express my love and admiration for the work of Yuko Shimizu. I only stumbled across her work the other day by recommendation of my tutor. I was told my style was some what reminiscent of hers and upon viewing her work, I'm very flattered to be even remotely similar to her.

 

She has a wonderful ability to combine cultural aesthetics and has a brilliant grasp of how to use the frame. My own editorial brief has subsequently taken direct influence from her and I just wanted to pay my respects here. You should definitely check out her work, you'd be hard pressed not to find her images as they appear all over the place. On a personal note, I do feel a very strong affinity for her as she took drastic changes in her life to achieve what she has. Having a mid life crisis at 22 may seem like the end of the world, but its nice to know that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel. There are truly wonderful people to admire and aspire to.


No comments:

Post a Comment